Convicted rapist Arthur Richard Brown will spend at least the next nine years behind bars.
Convicted rapist Arthur Richard Brown will spend at least the next nine years behind bars.

Rapist showed no emotion

CONVICTED rapist Arthur Richard Brown had attacked and raped a Toowoomba grandmother in her own home just one week after being released from custody, Toowoomba District Court heard yesterday.

Brown, 30, will remain behind bars for at least the next nine years after he was jailed yesterday for the brutal rape and bashing of the 61-year-old in her Centenary Heights home on the night of April 28, 2008.

His victim watched from the public gallery of Court Number One as Brown was sentenced to 11 years’ jail and declared a “serious violent offender”, meaning he will have to serve at least 80% of the term.

Judge Clive Wall QC explained that he would ordinarily have jailed Brown for 13 years, but for the fact he had already served almost two years in custody prior to sentence.

“You have displayed no remorse whatsoever,” Judge Wall told Brown who stood in the court dock with arms folded and showing little outward signs of emotion as he was sentenced.

Crown prosecutor Andrew Anderson told the court Brown had been released from custody on April 22, 2008, after being acquitted at trial of the sexual assault of a child.

Six days later, he broke into the woman’s home to find his victim asleep in bed.

Her only recollection of the violent attack was waking to find Brown repeatedly punching her in the face.

Her next memory was of waking up in hospital where she remained for two weeks with multiple injuries including a broken jaw and fractured nose which has left her with permanent loss of the sense of smell, the court heard.

Despite her horrific facial injuries, it was the loss of smell which amounted to grievous bodily harm of which Brown was found guilty along with charges of rape, burglary with violence and stealing, all arising from the incident.

His five-day trial had heard Brown was convicted of a similar incident in 2006 when he had tried to pull a mature-aged woman from her Newtown home late at night only for the woman to fend him off with her walking frame.

When the woman screamed, Brown had fled, but was located by police in a nearby park.

Judge Wall yesterday paid tribute to the grandmother victim who he said had worked very hard to overcome her fears and the significant impacts of Brown’s “calculated and persistent attack” at her Centenary Heights home.

Referring to the woman’s victim impact statement, Judge Wall noted the victim had gone through psychiatric counselling and still woke at times to a dark presence in her room.

The attack had also had a significant impact on the woman’s family who had been left with ongoing concerns for her, he said.

Helping those in need

Helping those in need

Lions band together for drought relief.

Army brings a rocking good time

Army brings a rocking good time

Army band brings tour to Central Queensland.

Motocross club is a family affair

Motocross club is a family affair

Family "live and breathe” motocross.