PRIME Minister Tony Abbott says the joint Commonwealth and State Government report into last year's deadly Sydney siege will be released in the coming weeks.
He said he would also be making a national security statement early next week.
Hostages Tori Johnson, 34, and Katrina Dawson, 38, were killed after gunman Man Haron Monis, 52, held up the Lindt Cafe at Martin Place last year resulting in a tense 17-hour siege that made headlines across the world.
Monis was eventually killed after heavily-armed tactical response personnel stormed the cafe in the early hours of December 16, shortly after he executed Mr Johnson at point-blank range.
It was later revealed Mrs Dawson died as a result of a ricocheting bullet which was fired when police stormed the cafe.
Mr Abbott said on Sunday it was clear we had given those who might be a threat to our country the benefit of the doubt for too long.
He said it was going to stop.
"There has been the benefit of the doubt at our borders, the benefit of the doubt for residency, the benefit of the doubt for citizenship and the benefit of the doubt at Centrelink," he said.
"And in the courts there has been bail, when clearly there should have been jail.
"We are a free and fair nation, but that does not mean we should let bad people play us for mugs, and all too often they have."
Mr Abbott said the rise of the Islamist death cult in the Middle East had seen the emergence of new threats where any extremist can grab a knife, a flag, a camera phone and a victim and carry out a terror attack.
"As a nation we are responding to this threat," he said.
"I give you this assurance ... as a country we will not let evil people exploit our freedom."
- APN NEWSDESK
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.