ANZ Insurance has apologised to a family still waiting to move back into their home eight months after the floods and said it would review its response.
As reported in yesterday's Queensland Times, Teresa and Tom Bliesner's Karalee house was inundated in January and they were covered by ANZ Insurance.
They were finally told last month their claim would be finalised but until they contacted the QT last week they were still waiting for final answers.
ANZ Insurance sent the Queensland Times a long list of correspondence between the company and the Bliesners since January.
It also sent an offer it had just made of a cash settlement subject to agreement by Suncorp, which holds the mortgage on their house.
The spokesman said the company regretted the delay and it would try to learn from the case.
"We take customer feedback seriously and will review any short comings with our response to Mr and Mrs Bliesner," the spokesman said.
"ANZ Insurance is sorry for the stress and inconvenience this has caused Mr and Mrs Bliesner."
He said the "timeframe was regrettable but ANZ Insurance liaised with the Bliesner's throughout the period to attempt resolution".
"Back in January the Bliesner's claim was accepted and temporary accommodation payments commenced," he said.
"Unfortunately the time to repair their property was affected by the number of repair quotes, change of builders, and the scope of work changing from a repair to a full re-build - all covered under the policy.
"So the work required to the property became more complex than originally expected.
"As soon as the Bliesner's requested a cash pay-out we agreed."
Mr Bleisner said yesterday he was satisfied with the response of ANZ Insurance.
He also declined the opportunity for more media coverage when contacted by TV and radio stations.
"We're not looking for attention or putting the boot in; we just want to let them get on with it," he said.
Teresa and Tom Bliesner say they have been with ANZ insurance since 1993 and had flood cover.
Mr Bliesner said he filed two formal complaints, wrote a letter to the ANZ chief executive and made countless phone calls and emails.
The couple told the QT that revisiting their Voyager Dr home had become a gut-wrenching experience.
Tom comes back every fortnight to mow the lawn so he's used to the smell but Teresa is sickened by the rank odour of lingering mud.
"This is the same as we walked away from on January 17. It was a beautiful home," Mrs Bliesner said, holding in tears.
"All we want is our lives back.
"We've got two kids and they just want to come home."
- The Insurance Council says about 700 disputed claims are with the Financial Ombudsman out of about 127,000 from Cyclone Yasi and the floods.
- About 70 per cent of residential claims have been closed and paid.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.