Blackwater snake bite survivor says to 'be safe'
BRUCE Hodby is a firm believer in the idea that it's better to be safe than sorry.
The Blackwater local is urging all residents to be extremely cautious after he was bitten by a brown snake while gardening at his home recently.
"One of the gardens was messy and I was reaching out to get a dead branch out and felt a spike at my ankle," Bruce said.
"I thought a small stick had fallen into my shoe, so I kept on working away."
Bruce said when he looked down at his foot, it was brown from dirt but after rinsing it, there were three small spots and a little blood.
"I did the wrong thing by ignoring it, instead of taking action straight away," he said.
"But I went inside and my wife hit the panic button."
The couple rushed to the Blackwater Hospital, where Bruce tested positive to a brown snake bite.
"We went straight to Emerald to have blood tests, and so I could be monitored - they were very concerned," Bruce said.
Luckily, there wasn't a large amount of venom and the snake wasn't believed to be large.
Bruce said because he didn't see the snake, he wasn't sure if he had been bitten, and didn't want to cause a fuss.
But once at the hospital, the nurse told him it could very quickly turn serious.
"The nurse at the hospital said it does look similar to a snake bite, and the other mark could be where the other fang went into the shoe, or even a second strike," Bruce said.
"Apparently brown snakes, their fangs are only three or four millimetres long, so the bite is nothing like you expect ... no more than a little pinch," he said.