Body of girl kidnapped for $1.8m ransom found
THE body of the daughter of a wealthy German businessman kidnapped for a €1.2 million (AU$1.8m) ransom last week has reportedly been found.
Anneli-Marie R, whose last name has not been released for privacy reasons, has not been seen since she left her parents' house at in Meissen, Saxony at 7:30pm on 13 August.
The girl's dog was found alive by police, but they failed to find any trace of her after searching the near-by countryside with a sniffer dog, according to German newspaper Sächsische Zeitung.
According to NBC News, a body was found on Monday night in a nearby farm according to reports
"The circumstances point to the fact that this could be the kidnapped woman, but final confirmation is still outstanding," a police spokesman told the US broadcaster.
Investigators have not given specific details regarding the ransom but Sächsische Zeitung has reported that the amount is about €1.2 million.
A public appeal for information as well as a statement from the girl's family had been released by officials.
The family said in a previous statement: "Anneli, we miss you. The kidnappers should know that we will fulfil their demands to be able to hug our child soon."
According to a police statement an extensive search and investigation into the kidnapping remains on-going.
Anneli-Marie R's disappearance follows a series of kidnappings for ransom in Germany.
In June this year the 50-year-old disabled son of German billionaire Reinhold Würth was abducted, according to Deutsche Welle. He was freed a day later with no ransom paid.
In 2010 Maria Bögerl, the wife of a wealthy banker, was murdered by her kidnappers despite her husband paying the €300,000 ransom requested. Her killers have not yet been identified.
In 2002, Magnus Gäfgen kidnapped the 11 year-old son of a banker demanding a €1 million ransom in return for the boy's release despite having already killed him. Gäfgen was sentenced to life in prison.