Menu
News

Body found in search for man missing during Cyclone Debbie

A 50-year-old man is missing at Mondure, west of Murgon.
A 50-year-old man is missing at Mondure, west of Murgon. Contributed

THE body of a man who went missing in floodwaters in the aftermath of Cyclone Debbie has been found.

David Heidemann, 50, left a home on Mondure Wheatlands Rd in Mondure about 8pm on March 30.

He told family he planned to visit friends, but never arrived at his friends' house.

Emergency services led a comprehensive search for Mr Heidemann in the days after he went missing, but weren't able to find his body.

Police divers searched canals leading into Barambah Creek and swiftwater rescue teams were also part of the early search effort. 

The search resumed on Saturday morning and ended about 8.30am, when a member of the State Emergency Service found his body at Barambah Creek.

Mr Heidemann was one of at least five people killed in the floods that caused widespread damage across Queensland and northern New South Wales.

Queensland Police Service said a report would be prepared for the coroner.

Topics:  cyclone debbie editors picks murgon

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners