Teacher and student suffer burns in TAFE fire
UPDATE: TAFE Queensland East Coast confirmed a teacher and student were burned during a flash fire at the Hervey Bay campus.
TAFE Queensland East Coast Director of People and Culture Steve Cathcart said a small flash fire in the motor vehicle mechanical training area resulted in a staff member and a 21-year-old student sustaining burns.
"TAFE Queensland takes the safety of our staff students and visitors seriously and have stringent safety practices in place to ensure the safety of staff and students undertaking practical training," Mr Catchcart said.
"We will work closely with WHSQ to support the investigation to ensure we understand what contributed to the incident."
He said Workplace Health and Safety protocols had been followed to "secure the area safely and allow for a full investigation".
"Right now, our main concern is the health, wellbeing and safety of all of our staff and students, we have trained people on site to provide counselling if required," he said.
"Our thoughts are with both men and their families and we will continue to support them throughout their recoveries," he said.
UPDATE: A 35-YEAR-old man and a 21-year-old man have been taken to Hervey Bay hospital with partial-thickness burns after a flash fire at a Fraser Coast TAFE campus on Friday morning.
A Queensland Ambulance Service spokeswoman said one of the victims received burns to his face and chest, while the other received burns to both his arms.
Both men were transported to hospital in stable conditions.
EARLIER: TWO people have been taken to hospital with serious burns after a flash fire broke out at the Tafe Queensland East Coast Hervey Bay campus.
Hervey Bay fire fighters and paramedics were called to the Tafe just after 10am on Friday after the fire suddenly occurred in a motor vehicle workshop.
Torquay fire station officer John Pappas, who was at the scene, said it was believed fuel or petrol had been involved in the fire.
"The fire was not a significant fire, it had flashed, which indicates it involved some fuels or materials," Officer Pappas said.
"There will be an investigation undertaken by Work Health Safety Queensland as well as the Tafe."
Officer Pappas said there was evidence that a fire extinguisher was used to put out the fire, and first aid was given to the two victims.
"In this case they did have adequate safety equipment in place," he said.
The two injured people were assessed at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Hervey Bay hospital for further treatment of the significant burns.
The building was evacuated, but fire fighters have since assessed the scene and have rendered the building safe for entry.
More details to come.