Brush up on voting skills before election
WITH local government elections just weeks away, and the end in sight, here's how to make it through election time unscathed.
Residents in council areas that are only offering postal votes, such as Barcaldine and Central Highlands Regional Councils, will have their election material posted to their enrolled addresses following the close of nominations yesterday.
If your ballot material is lost in transit or accidentally defaced or destroyed, you must apply for a replacement ballot paper by completing a declaration form found on the commission's website.
Residents can fill-in the ballot material when they receive it, but it must be completed by 6pm on polling day on March 19.
For those who know they're going to be away from home (their registered postal address) they can apply for a pre-poll postal vote, for which applications are now open.
The Isaac Regional Council, however will be conducting a combination of attendance votes at established polling booths, and postal votes, while Woorabinda Shire will be conducting an attendance vote.
Handy to know:
- Polling booths are open from 8am to 6pm.
- The commission has made available provisions to assist electors to cast an electronically assisted vote. Electors eligible to lodge an electronically assisted vote can register and/or vote in the local government elections and state referendum by phoning 1300912782.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements you can apply to have a polling official attend your residence for you to vote.
- If the ballot paper is not filled out correctly, your vote will not count.
- For more visit www.ecq.qld .gov.au/elections/2016-local- government-quadrennial- elections.
- The Returns Officer for the Central Highlands Regional Council is Tina Dennis C/- Department of Main Roads, 83 Esmont S, Emerald, QLD 4720.
- Phone 0476843184 or email centralhighlandslg16@ecq .qld.gov.au.
- At the close of nominations yesterday the Central Highlands Regional Council had 22 councillor candidates and four for mayor.