Brisbane to Bundaberg crime spree ends in jail

A THREE-WEEK crime spree from Brisbane to Bundaberg - which ended in a police foot-chase on Quay St - has landed a 20-year-old man in jail for at least seven months.

Darryn Glenn Buckley pleaded guilty to a string of 30 charges in the Bundaberg Magistrates Court, which included 21 offences between May 4 and 25.

Buckley was eventually caught after police tried to intercept his car and he tried to run along Quay St in Bundaberg. He was charged with obstructing police and sentenced to two months for that offence.

But police had been hunting Buckley since his crime spree began in Brisbane on May 4 when he broke into a home and stole a car.

Two days later he stole number plates from a similar looking car in Sunnybank.

Police attempted to stop Buckley on the Bruce Hwy at Caboolture on May 10 but he failed to stop.

The following day Buckley broke into a Brisbane home and stole a car. The unlicensed driver headed for Bundaberg, failing to stop when police tried to stop him at Gympie on May 13. He also stole petrol from a service station along the way.

On May 15 police again tried to stop Buckley, this time in Bundaberg, but he managed to elude them and on May 21 he broke into one home in Bussey St at Bargara - and attempted to enter a second.

But eventually the law caught up with Buckley when Bundaberg police tried to pull him over on May 25.

Buckley's failed to stop but his car before exiting the car and running on foot from police. But he was eventually caught.

Yesterday Magistrate Neil Lavaring also sentenced Buckley for a number of drug offences including supplying methamphetamine, possessing marijuana and possessing drug utensils.

"You have a limited drug history, although your offending may be connected to drugs," Mr Lavaring told Buckley.

On Tuesday defence barrister Nick Larter told the court Buckley reacted badly after his former partner stopped him from seeing their daughter.

"He dealt with that badly and went off the rails," he said.

Buckley was also sentenced for stealing a socket set from Bunnings at Maryborough on February 27, two Fitbit smart watches from Hervey Bay on March 7 as well as stealing from Target in Bundaberg on March 4 and the Bundaberg Surf, Dive and Ski shop on February 9.

Mr Lavaring handed down concurrent terms of imprisonment, ranging from one month to 18 months, plus three month terms for failing to appear in court on three occasions.

In total he was slapped with a head sentence of 21 months.

Buckley will be eligible to apply for parole from March 1 next year and faces having his drivers licences suspended for four two-year periods, bringing the disqualification period to eight years.

‘Severely obese’ Queenslanders to have first grab at jab

Premium Content ‘Severely obese’ Queenslanders to have first grab at jab

Qlders classified as “severely obese” now eligible for priority jab

Queen sits alone as William, Harry show surprising unity

Premium Content Queen sits alone as William, Harry show surprising unity

The Queen has farewelled Prince Philip during an emotional funeral

Emergency declared after 25 motorcyclists die

Premium Content Emergency declared after 25 motorcyclists die

Police and the government have taken the ‘extraordinary step’ of warning 220,000...