Cancer claims brave mother at just 28-years-old

Christina Franklin with her partner Nathan Moon and son Blair, then 10 months.
Christina Franklin with her partner Nathan Moon and son Blair, then 10 months. Warren Lynam

A FORMER Sunshine Coast mum diagnosed with cancer while pregnant with her second child has lost her courageous battle.

Christina Moon passed away on Saturday after having fought for more than two years against an aggressive form of colon and liver cancer.

The 28-year-old leaves behind her husband, Nathan, and their three-year-old son, Blair, who has also endured health difficulties all of his life.

Mr Moon said his wife had been responding well to treatment, possibly even getting the edge over her cancer, until about three months ago.

"It was at the stage where it was maybe getting a little bit better but wasn't getting any worse," Mr Moon said.

"And then she had a fall at Coles, slipped on water, and broke her elbow.

"She had been going to the gym but ever since she broke her elbow, she went downhill a bit. The chemo wasn't working."

Mrs Moon had been 21 weeks pregnant with their second child when she was diagnosed with cancer.

She had put back pain down to time spent bedside with Blair, who was in hospital for months with congenital birth defects.

Mrs Moon underwent treatment but lost her second child at 33 weeks.

Some good luck came her way when she won a wedding package in a competition, allowing her to create some happy memories with her fiance.

Friends also rallied to organise fundraisers and help the couple with expenses.

The family later moved to New South Wales to be closer to family support and take up the offer of a trial drug at Sydney's Royal North Shore Hospital.

Mr Moon said his wife had accepted that she would die young but had been determined to enjoy what time she had as much as she could.

"She was pretty good, a very strong girl, nothing would have slowed her down," he said.

"Her aim was to fight as hard as she could so she could have plenty of time for Blair.

"She knew it was going to happen at some time and she wanted to make the best of it before then, which she did.

"She tried new things. She wasn't afraid of cancer bothering her or restricting the things she could do.

"She was ticking things off on her bucket list. She went back to the gym, she went on shopping sprees, trips away - the things she wouldn't normally do."

Mr Moon said Blair had understood that his mother had been sick and had been told that "mummy's gone away".

"He understands but he doesn't understand," he said.

Mr Moon said that in accordance with his wife's wishes, she would be cremated and "come home with us" to be next to the ashes of her unborn son.

She did not want a funeral and instead, a small wake will be held where close family and friends will have a drink and a good time in memory of her.

Topics:  cancer editors picks sunshine coast

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners