Carr condemns North Korea over rocket tests

FOREIGN Minister Bob Carr yesterday condemned North Korean plans to test more long-range rockets later this month.

North Korea announced its plans last week to test more long-range rockets between December 10 and December 22 this year.

Mr Carr said the move was a "needless provocation by an already isolated and impoverished regime".

"The Democratic People's Republic of Korea has again demonstrated disregard for world opinion by pursuing militarism at the expense of its region and its own people," he said.

"Rocket testing by the DPRK is a credible threat to Asia-Pacific security and to the safety of millions of people in neighbouring countries."

Mr Carr said the test should be abandoned; and he would be telling North Korea's Ambassador to Australia, Ri Jong Ryul, as much.


Leaders’ last-minute dash through swing seats

Premium Content Leaders’ last-minute dash through swing seats

Qld election 2020: Leaders’ last-minute dash through swing seats

Bush voters furious as postal ballots fail to arrive

Premium Content Bush voters furious as postal ballots fail to arrive

Bush voters slam ‘discriminatory’ democracy as postal ballots fail to arrive

Mirani candidates share visions for improving Mount Morgan

Premium Content Mirani candidates share visions for improving Mount Morgan

Whoever is elected in Mirani will have an important role in reviving the fortunes...