How did this four-truck pile-up happen on the Pacific Hwy?

HORRIFIC night CRASH: One driver had to be airlifted to hospital following the Telegraph Point Crash.
HORRIFIC night CRASH: One driver had to be airlifted to hospital following the Telegraph Point Crash. Live Traffic NSW

NEWS of a four-truck pile-up on the Pacific Hwy both saddened and baffled many in the sector, leaving drivers who frequent the area to question if other factors were involved.

In the early hours of September 7, three B-doubles and a single PanTech truck travelling north crashed end to end north of Port Macquarie Telegraph Point near Moorside Dr.

The horrific collision left a 69-year-old B-double driver trapped in the crushed cab for four hours.

He was later airlifted to John Hunter hospital with serious injuries while another person was reported to have been taken to Port Macquarie hospital with minor injuries.

While no official statement into the cause of the crash has been released, the incident was reported to have taken place at 2am near an active road worksite.

Jeremy, a driver who travels past the incident site on a weekly basis, said he believed inadequate signage may have been a factor.

"I am a driver myself, run trucks up and down the highway weekly, I passed the spot of the crash 20 minutes before the accident happened," he said.

"The roadworks set-up was poorly signed that night.

"I was travelling with an offsider and we both saw a single red light halfway around a bend, we both thought it was motorbike.

"The B-double ahead of me didn't see and locked up.

"I was driving a rigid at the time so I was able to stop. As far as notice goes there was nothing set up, I only saw a single roadworks sign ages back during the day.

"It was ridiculous, and an accident was bound to happen."

The experienced driver said the night of the collision was the first time he saw the traffic light in place.

"I went through there only four days earlier and it wasn't signed like that," he said.

"Whatever happens, the blame shouldn't be placed on the drivers."

NSW Police are yet to formally interview all of the drivers involved in the incident.

"Police are appealing to members of the public who may have more information on the matter," a police representative said.

Big Rigs approached Roads and Maritime Services about the matter of inadequate signage at the site of the incident, however they were unable to comment on the matter.

"RMS is assisting NSW Police with its investigation into a crash at Telegraph Point on Thursday, September 7 this year and it would be inappropriate to comment further," a Roads RMS representative said.

The industry waits for an outcome of that investigation.

Topics:  major crash signage

Big Rigs

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners