Ford young gun Chaz Mostert has had a long wait to get back into a car, but after his first day back testing after his Bathurst crash last year he is confident of a strong 2016 campaign.
A spectacular high-speed crash in qualifying at the Bathurst 1000 sidelined the 23-year-old for the last four rounds of 2015 after he broke his leg, wrist and suffered knee issues.
But the 2014 Bathurst winner insisted he had no issues getting back in the driver's seat after his test at Winton.
The first round of the new V8 season is at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide from March 3-6 and he's expected to race.
"It's fantastic to be back in the car today," Mostert said.
"I've been waiting about four or five months to get back in the car. I'm excited for the year ahead.
"Just blowing the cobwebs out at the moment ... we'll try and put some quick times in - fingers crossed - a bit later."
Mostert mainly did short runs on the track but only because his Prodrive Racing Australia team was trialling a new Falcon FG X.
After five hours of running time, Mostert's best lap was 1min 22.2618sec, which placed him fourth in the order behind Tim Slade, Mark Winterbottom and Jason Bright.
"The new car's mint. It's an awesome thing PRA do - they bolt a car together, don't even need a shakedown and it runs out the gate just like any other one," he said.
"So I'm looking forward to giving it its debut in Adelaide and hopefully having some success in it this year."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.