A HUSBAND and wife escaped their ute before it burst into flames in front of a petrol station at the top of the Toowoomba Range on Monday morning.
Charlie and Rosemary Borg were towing a trailer load of furniture west on the Warrego Hwy about 9.30am when Mr Borg noticed his car's temperature gauge was slightly high.
The Ipswich resident pulled over in front of United Fuels on Cohoe St to investigate.
At first smoke started coming from under the bonnet and despite his best efforts with two fire extinguishers, Mr Borg was unable to stop flames from engulfing the engine bay and cab.
"I went to pull the bonnet up, but the thing (lever) just came off in my hand," Mr Borg said.
"We were dropping some furniture off to a friend's daughter."
Both he and his wife escaped, but Mrs Borg was taken to Toowoomba Hospital for observation after suffering an epileptic seizure.
Traffic was blocked on the west-bound section of the highway while firefighters extinguished the ute.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.