Cricketers have given up on deal
THE Australian Cricketers Association has declared they have all but given up on a deal being struck by Friday as they prepare players for the reality of being unemployed.
President Greg Dyer said players were "dismayed” that the bitter pay war has not been resolved and once again called on Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland to involve himself immediately in negotiations.
NSW star Ed Cowan said all state players, uncontracted or otherwise, would turn up to training on Monday even if no deal has been agreed upon.
CA has also made it clear the doors will be open for them to do so.
However, beyond next week the horizon is unclear for cricket with Australia A's tour of July in serious jeopardy.
Dyer said the game was in crisis.
"Over 200 of Australia's most senior cricketers are unemployed as of the July 1,” Dyer said.
"We will be assisting in whatever way we possibly can in that but they're unemployed. We'll be looking for opportunities for them as we move forward but we see the urgent need to resolve this matter because that's the reality. The players are unemployed.
"We will be jumping off the cliff together.
"It's fair to say we (CA and ACA) still remain a long way apart. The fundamentals of the deal are nowhere near resolved.”
The ACA has said that CA's revised offer last week is unacceptable, even though it seeks to include state players in a profit share arrangement.
CA has declared it will continue to pay multi-year state contracted players after July 1, however the players are concerned about what happens after July 14.
Until then players will train.
"As an act of good will and a commitment to the team and the cause of the season we'll continue to train,” said Cowan.