STUBBY was just moments from an excruciating death when she arrived at the Pacific Paradise vet surgery.
The cattle cross foxie was whimpering, struggling to stand and bleeding from the gums.
A blood test revealed the worst - rat poisoning.
The seven-year-old was given a life saving dose of vitamin K.
It was touch and go all night but the beloved family pet pulled through.
Owners Susan Moore and her family can't believe someone would be so cruel and stupid as to poison a dog in its yard.
"The vet believes Stubby was given small amounts over a few days which became toxic," Susan said.
"Last week we noticed she had green poo which was a bit odd.
"It cleared up when we went away to the Gold Coast for a night but got much worse when we returned home. By Monday morning, Stubby was clearly seriously ill.
"The vet revealed her blood was clotting at a rate of eight minutes, normally this should be around 60 to 90 seconds.
"She was very close to dying."
Ms Moore said her two children could have been exposed to the deadly poison.
"The kids pick up everything, they are naturally inquisitive. It could have easily been much worse," she said.
The ordeal had not only been stressful but expensive.
"So far it has cost us about $450 for the medication," she said.
"Stubby has another few weeks on the vitamin K which will be another couple hundred dollars."
Ms Moore said Stubby was still sluggish and had to be treated like she was in "one hundred pieces".
"Because of the internal bleeding any bump could set it off," she said.
"She is such a beautiful dog, I don't know who would want to hurt her."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.