A TOOWOOMBA woman drove herself to hospital after she was bitten by what she believes was a death adder.
Snake bite victim Julie was gardening at a friend's home on Alderley St last week when a death adder latched onto her finger.
Julie said she remained calm throughout the ordeal.
"I had to smack it off. It had bitten down tight and didn't want to let go," Julie said.
"I was surprised how calm I was. I am normally petrified of snakes.
"Once I got to the hospital I realised it was worse than I originally thought," she said.
At the hospital, Julie started to suffer muscle weakness. She was unable to speak properly and had trouble breathing.
Julie said the Toowoomba Hospital contacted a toxicologist who advised her symptoms were related to a death adder bite.
"They kept me in for 24 hours to keep an eye on me, but told me my symptoms would continue for about a month," Julie said.
"I want everyone to know that there are death adders in Toowoomba because people don't think there are," she said.
Snake catcher Nathan Garrod said he would be surprised if it was a death adder bite.
"The closest Toowoomba sighting of a death adder was at Goomburra 10 years ago," Mr Garrod said.
"I am not saying it wasn't a death adder, but if it was it was a very rare occurrence," he said.
Mr Garrod advises people to wear protective gloves when gardening to minimise the risk of being bitten by a snake.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.