OZCARE'S $30million project looks likely to go ahead after the council decided to extend the finish deadline so the company would be eligible for a 100% infrastructure charge discount worth $1.5million.
Without it, the project would have been unlikely to go ahead in Mackay.
The good news for Ozcare is also the break that struggling local builders need as pressure mounts on them trying to provide for their families.
Woollam Constructions managing director Craig Percival stood in front of the economic development and planning standing committee yesterday and pleaded with the council to help get projects like this one moving in the region.
He read out a text message he received last week from a fellow builder.
"Hey mate, I have run out of work today...still looking for work,” he read out.
"Just about had enough of not knowing the future and trying to provide for the wife and girls.”
Mr Percival said Woollam had all of Ozcare's work and if the aged care home wasn't going to be built in Mackay he would build it somewhere else.
"But that's why I am here today because I want to see it built here,” he said.
He explained that Ozcare was going to miss the current deadline (April 30) to get the infrastructure charges discount because of two significant engineering issues which had now been overcome.
Former builder, councillor Ross Gee said he knew all too well the pressure people in the building industry were under.
"Although this is a commercial project the jobs in it are of a domestic nature,” he said.
Councillors voted unanimously to extend the deadline by 12 months.
Ozcare filed a report to the council saying without that discount the project was unlikely to go ahead but with it construction could start as soon as November.
That was under the condition the development application was approved by the council by October 30.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.