A NEWCASTLE man, who allegedly led police on a high-speed pursuit, north of Coffs Harbour at speeds of up to 180kmh yesterday, is due to appear in court on nine charges.
The 21-year-old man, from Birmingham Gardens, was held in custody overnight after his arrest at Moonee Beach.
In a dramatic pursuit, the man allegedly lost control of his Holden Commodore sedan twice before he surrendered to officers.
Police allege a Holden Commodore was spotted by police travelling in excess of 100kmh, south of Grafton, on Wednesday around 10.55am.
The vehicle was seen to allegedly overtake another car on the left-hand side before police activated lights and sirens.
Police said the Commodore pulled over for police near Lemon Tree Rd, Halfway Creek.
As officers approached the car, it's alleged the driver, the sole occupant of the vehicle, looked over his shoulder then accelerated harshly, spun the tyres and sprayed up rocks and dirt.
Police said the vehicle then fish-tailed onto the roadway and sped away.
Officers initiated a pursuit and the vehicle allegedly reached speeds of up to 160kmh.
The Commodore was then allegedly clocked at 180kmh as it approached Dirty Creek Range.
The pursuit was terminated due to safety concerns after the vehicle in question overtook another vehicle on a blind crest, police allege.
The vehicle was again spotted by officers in traffic south of Woolgoolga and police said plans were made for the deployment of road spikes.
Moments later though, the Commodore took the Moonee Beach interchange and police re-engaged a pursuit.
It's alleged the Commodore turned onto Moonee Beach Rd at speeds of 120kmh in a 50kmh and the driver lost control of the vehicle on a roundabout and the car spun 180 degrees before it took off again.
The car then lost control for a second time on Moonee Creek Dr and came to rest on a grass area mounting the kerb and footpath backwards.
The male driver was taken into custody.
Subsequent police inquiries found the man had been disqualified from driving until 2032 in the Newcastle Local Court in April last year.
Police said the man was also wanted on an outstanding arrest warrant for a drive in a manner dangerous offence committed on July 11, 2013.
The man was charged with nine offences, including overtake to the left of a vehicle, drive whilst disqualified, two counts of police pursuit - Skye's Law, two counts of drive in a reckless furious manner, two counts of exceed the speed by more than 45kmh and having an outstanding arrest warrant.
He is due to appear in Coffs Harbour Local Court today.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.