AN elderly man was dragged unconscious from a burning shed full of liquid petroleum gas bottles after it caught fire at Kureelpa.
Firefighters used breathing equipment to rescue the man after the shed, located on a Mapleton Rd property, caught fire at 4pm yesterday.
It was understood the fire started in a shed, in which the man was living, before spreading and engulfing a larger building.
The building contained urban and rural farming equipment, as well as numerous LPG bottles.
Queensland Fire and Rescue duty manager for operations for the northern region Russell Thompson said the elderly man was rescued unhurt, but was taken to Nambour Hospital as a precaution.
"When the crews arrived we had a number of large LPG gas cylinders on the property that were venting. They had the fire coming out the top of them," Mr Thompson said.
"We had to withdraw fire operations until the cylinders stopped venting."
Once the threat of explosion eased, six fire crews from Mapleton, Kureelpa and Nambour worked fast to extinguish the fire, removing the tin roof of the building.
"It was in the vicinity of 20 to 30 minutes before the fire was brought under control," Mr Thompson said.
"The owner of the property turned up and confirmed there was no-one living at the property except the elderly gentleman."
Senior Sergeant Ray Hoelscher said initial investigations showed the fire had been accidentally lit.
Despite more than two hours work to extinguish the blaze, the timber frame of both the shed and building was burned to the ground.
There was no asbestos found in the shed.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.