Melbourne Victory chief executive Ian Robson has slammed some of his fans after the club was issued with a show-cause notice by the FFA because of unruly behaviour over the weekend.
At least one flare was let off inside AAMI Park during the 2-all draw in the clash against Melbourne City on Saturday night.
Several more were ripped outside the stadium, while bottles were thrown onto the pitch during a heated moment after a disallowed Melbourne Victory goal.
The incidents came just days after the Western Sydney Wanderers were given a $50,000 fine and suspended penalty of three competition points after their fans also set off flares and displayed unauthorised banners in its active support section during its clash with the Victory at Etihad Stadium.
The FFA has given the Victory until tomorrow afternoon to show why it should not be handed similar sanctions.
"We refuse to allow the reckless behaviour of a small minority to define what this club stands for," Robson said. "The people that come and act out in a manner that shows a complete recklessness and a disregard for basic common standards of behaviour are not welcome."
FFA chief executive David Gallop said he was stunned at the timing of the bad behaviour from the Melbourne fans.
"No one could have missed the fact that FFA, our clubs, players and coaches have been explicitly clear in our condemnation of actions over the last week around the ignition of flares," he said.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.