Dog owners are being warned that the mushrooms that have popped up on lawns and parklands across southeast Queensland following the recent rain event can kill.

While not all fungi are toxic it can be difficult to tell those that are dangerous to pets, so Brisbane veterinarian Dr Joshua Llinas advises dog owners to keep a close eye on their fur babies.

Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.
Wet-weather mushrooms can be poisonous.

"It is vital that if a dog has eaten a mushroom and is showing signs of being unwell and vomiting that they are taken immediately to the vet," he said.

"Fast detox is essential in these cases. Once absorbed some of these fungi can be fatal."

The doctor advises pet owners to take photos of the fungi to help the experts identify the type.

"These wet-weather mushrooms can be dangerous to all animals including guinea pigs and even birds but dogs are more likely to be inquisitive," he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally published as Fatal fungi: Warning over wet-weather mushrooms


Top Tourism Town: CQ destinations in the running

Premium Content Top Tourism Town: CQ destinations in the running

Your vote will decide which centres take the coveted titles.

-0.4C! Southeast shivers through coldest morning of year

Premium Content -0.4C! Southeast shivers through coldest morning of year

In one town it felt like it was 0 degrees after wintery blast

Senior CQ cop stood down over weapon allegations

Premium Content Senior CQ cop stood down over weapon allegations

The 49-year-old Central Region officer has been tasked to perform non-operational...