Menu
News

Father of three-year-old gun victim 'sick with grief'

The father of a three-year-old who died of a gunshot wound is pictured outside Blacktown Court.
The father of a three-year-old who died of a gunshot wound is pictured outside Blacktown Court.

THE father of a three-year-old girl shot dead in her home by a sawn off shotgun shouted "let me see my daughter one more time" as he cried in the dock at Blacktown Local Court yesterday.

The 43-year-old's lawyer said the father, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was "losing his mind" with grief and had not slept in jail since the girl was killed just before 8.30pm Sunday night.

He has been charged with firearm offences after allegedly stashing the gun in the house where the girl lived with her mother and three brothers - all were home at the time the gun discharged into her neck.

Looking thin, his faced covered in tears and mumbling to himself, the man expressed deluded hopes about seeing his daughter again while sitting in the dock.

"I love you daddy, I love you daddy. Please say it one more time," the man shouted.

"Let me see my daughter one more time."

In dramatic scenes three female supporters sobbed and tried to reach out to the man in the dock before security stepped in.

One woman collapsed in grief outside the courtroom and the man had to be taken back to the cells for the final part of the hearing due to the noise.

The man's barrister William Barber told the court his client had been alone in a cell 23 hours a day and without his usual antidepressants and sleeping medication.

"He is very very highly traumatised, he tells me he hasn't slept for five days. He is losing his mind," Mr Barber said.

She was a “beautiful little girl”. Tributes have flowed for the little girl who was shot dead in her Lalor Park home on Sunday night.
She was a “beautiful little girl”. Tributes have flowed for the little girl who was shot dead in her Lalor Park home on Sunday night.

Outside the court Mr Barber told reporters "this is a tragedy of epic proportion".

"I've never seen anyone in such a bad way in custody before," Mr Williams said.

"The family and friends are completely and utterly in a very bad way."

Mr Williams asked for his client to be moved to the hospital at Long Bay jail and a full psychiatric report was ordered by Magistrate Anthony Spence.

Riverstone police and the Homicide Squad are investigating whether the children found the gun while playing in the house before the girl was killed.

The man has been charged with possessing the unauthorised and unregistered gun and breaching an apprehended domestic violence order.

The little girl's mother, who was not in court yesterday, screamed "I hate you, f--- you, I hate you" at the man on Sunday night.

The chargers were adjourned to November 3.

The Telegraph revealed on Wednesday the man was on bail awaiting sentence over fraud charges and his role in a drug syndicate when the tragedy happened.

Topics:  court editors picks shooting sydney toddler

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners