Firefighters investigate the damaged caravan that was engulfed in flames at the Ag-Grow fields on Sunday.
Firefighters investigate the damaged caravan that was engulfed in flames at the Ag-Grow fields on Sunday.

Faulty fridge sparks blaze

A LUCKY escape was had at the Ag-Grow grounds when a caravan became engulfed in flames on Sunday.

Police, ambulance and fire and rescue crews were called to the scene at the grounds on the Capricorn Hwy at about 3pm.

The blaze had been extinguished by witnesses first on the scene before emergency services arrived.

The fire is being treated as non-suspicious and is thought to have been caused by a possible electrical fault in the fridge of the caravan.

It is believed the owners of the caravan, as well as many other campers at the site, were in Emerald for the Central Highlands annual Ag-Grow Field Days this week.

Witnesses said the owner of the caravan arrived at the site and had left to set up a stall for the show just an hour before the blaze started.

No one was in the caravan while it was alight and no injuries were sustained during the incident.

With the cooler weather, the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service was reminding people to take care when lighting fires or using heaters and electric blankets, and to be aware of their obligations and responsibilities.

In Queensland, it is illegal to light a fire in the open without a permit and tough penalties apply, including on-the-spot fines and prosecution.

QFRS commissioner Lee Johnson said landholders had a responsibility to reduce the risk of bushfires on their properties through hazard reduction burns, but required a permit to do so.


Creating support links

Creating support links

Emerald woman starts depression/anxiety support group.

Bush adventures kids will love

Bush adventures kids will love

Local author inspires big rural dreams.

What can you do?

What can you do?

Chance to learn life-saving skills.

Local Partners