Faulty fridge sparks blaze

Firefighters investigate the damaged caravan that was engulfed in flames at the Ag-Grow fields on Sunday.
Firefighters investigate the damaged caravan that was engulfed in flames at the Ag-Grow fields on Sunday.

A LUCKY escape was had at the Ag-Grow grounds when a caravan became engulfed in flames on Sunday.

Police, ambulance and fire and rescue crews were called to the scene at the grounds on the Capricorn Hwy at about 3pm.

The blaze had been extinguished by witnesses first on the scene before emergency services arrived.

The fire is being treated as non-suspicious and is thought to have been caused by a possible electrical fault in the fridge of the caravan.

It is believed the owners of the caravan, as well as many other campers at the site, were in Emerald for the Central Highlands annual Ag-Grow Field Days this week.

Witnesses said the owner of the caravan arrived at the site and had left to set up a stall for the show just an hour before the blaze started.

No one was in the caravan while it was alight and no injuries were sustained during the incident.

With the cooler weather, the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service was reminding people to take care when lighting fires or using heaters and electric blankets, and to be aware of their obligations and responsibilities.

In Queensland, it is illegal to light a fire in the open without a permit and tough penalties apply, including on-the-spot fines and prosecution.

QFRS commissioner Lee Johnson said landholders had a responsibility to reduce the risk of bushfires on their properties through hazard reduction burns, but required a permit to do so.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners