Clementine Ford sparked backlash after tweeting about coronavirus in response to an article about women's labour.
Clementine Ford sparked backlash after tweeting about coronavirus in response to an article about women's labour.

‘Virus isn’t killing men fast enough’ tweet cops backlash

High-profile feminist writer Clementine Ford has apologised after a tweet she posted over the weekend sparked a furious backlash online.

"Honestly, the corona virus isn't killing men fast enough," Ford wrote on Twitter on Saturday, quickly sparking outrage and condemnation from media personalities and the Lord Mayor of Melbourne, who called the comments "distasteful".

Ford posted the comments in response to an article from thelily.com, about women taking on extra work during the coronavirus pandemic, as they manage childcare, their households, and their own work. She has since deleted the posts.

Ford’s now deleted tweet sparked outrage over the weekend.
Ford’s now deleted tweet sparked outrage over the weekend.

The comments caused anger online, with male commentators taking exception to the comment and Ford's name trending on Twitter throughout the weekend.

Ford was recently awarded an arts grant through the City of Melbourne as part of a program to support artists through the pandemic, and many began calling for her to have her funding rescinded.

 

Among those who criticised Ford were former senator Derryn Hinch, and media personality Peter Ford.

Ford stood firm on her comments on Saturday, responding to some of the backlash on Saturday afternoon.

On Saturday night the Herald Sun reported the Melbourne City Council arts grant awarded to Ms Ford would be put under review. Lord Mayor Sally Capp criticised Ford's comments, calling them "deliberately divisive" at a time when she was trying to keep the community together through the COVID-19 crisis.

"I found these comments offensive and distasteful and I agree with the sentiment of outrage expressed by many members of our community," Ms Capp said. She said she'd asked the council's chief executive officer to review the independent process that awarded Ford the grant.

On Sunday morning Ford apologised for the tweet in a lengthy thread, saying her comments had been "poorly judged".

 

Originally published as Feminist writer blasted for anti-men tweet


Cruel thieves steal from kids, ruin family holiday

premium_icon Cruel thieves steal from kids, ruin family holiday

Parents spend $3000 on new motorbikes for their kids, only to have them stolen days...

New signs to improve safety at CQ schools

premium_icon New signs to improve safety at CQ schools

Three schools across the region will have new flashing signs installed.

50 racers to hit the track in thrilling kart event

premium_icon 50 racers to hit the track in thrilling kart event

‘We’ve made it into a two-day race meet which entices people from everywhere to...