UPDATE Tuesday, 8.35am:

A GOFUNDME.COM page has been set up already to help out the Yandina blokes who lost almost everything in a house fire in Yandina yesterday afternoon.

One of the men is believed to be a well-known, long-time Yandina local and friend Bridget Kajewski has started a crowdfunding page to help the recovery process.

She said she's smelled the smoke yesterday afternoon from her work on the other side of town but had no idea it was a mate's house going up in flames.

"I drove past and my heart just sank," she said.

She said the humble man was always willing to help others out and she hoped the crowdfunding page would go some way to giving back and helping out in an extremely difficult time.

To donate click here.

Earlier:

INVESTIGATIONS are continuing in Yandina but it appears a lithium battery charger may have caused a house fire that gutted a Fleming St home.

Firies say a smoke alarm may have also prevented a tragedy with one young man, believed to be a shift worker, asleep in the house at the the time of the blaze, woken by a smoke alarm before the flames took hold.

Nambour Fire Station officer Kim Gray said the other occupant was believed to have been in the backyard at the time, also unaware of the fire.

The flames took hold with the house well ablaze by the time firefighters arrived at about 3.30pm.

It required four crews and five appliances to halt the flames which destroyed the lounge and kitchen areas and caused the roof of the home to collapse.

Officer Gray said the two occupants were "doing their best" to put the fire out when crews arrived but were unable to prevent the flames from gutting the home.

Firefighters were able to prevent the flames from spreading to neighbouring properties.

Officer Gray said the two men were "absolutely devastated".

"They've lost everything," he said.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services North Coast Region duty manager of operations David Woods said the home had been extensively damaged with major heat and smoke damage to the rest of the house around the lounge/kitchen area.

Earlier:

A ROOF has collapsed after a house fire burned a Sunshine Coast hinterland home this afternoon.

Firefighters were called to Fleming St, Yandina at about 3.30pm with four crews tasked to the fire.

Two firefighters in protective equipment battled the blaze while other teams surrounded the home to contain the fire, which caused part of the roof to cave in.

The fire was extinguished shortly before 4pm but crews remain at the property to dampen down hot spots and mop up.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokeswoman said it looked like all people in the house had been accounted for but paramedics were remaining at the scene until a final search wrapped up.


Maternity unit safe

Maternity unit safe

Promising future for Emerald maternity services

Gemfest a 'huge party'

Gemfest a 'huge party'

Heart of event hasn't changed.

Hay runs delivering hope to CQ farmers

Hay runs delivering hope to CQ farmers

A Springsure local took to the road last Friday for a hay run.

Local Partners