Jason Wood.
Jason Wood. Kevin Farmer

Cocaine trial: 'Thousands of recordings' cause delays

BREAKING: Almost two years after being charged with trafficking in cocaine, the case against former Toowoomba restaurateur Jason Matthew Wood is no closer to being resolved.

Wood, 36, appeared before Toowoomba Magistrates Court today for a brief mention of the matter.

The former owner of the Olive Branch was initially charged with trafficking and possessing dangerous drugs in January last year but has not as yet been required to enter any pleas to the charges.

He stood quietly beside his solicitor Phil Stainton who asked the court for another adjournment, explaining there were literally thousands and thousands of audio tape recordings to go through in the police brief of evidence.

Magistrate Damian Carroll said he understood there was a large amount of material for the defence to sift through but asked Mr Stainton if his Legal Aid Queensland office could give some priority to the case.

Mr Carroll remanded Wood on bail and adjourned the case for mention back in the same court on September 28.
 


Drink driver, 20, hit the road after six beers at CQ pub

Premium Content Drink driver, 20, hit the road after six beers at CQ pub

Young driver told the court it was a simple misjudgment of ‘how intoxicated I...

Japanese ace to race at $20K King of Capricorn

Premium Content Japanese ace to race at $20K King of Capricorn

Kota Toriyabe bound for Rocky, excited to experience new city and new track.

Police crack down on illegal activity at CQ walking trails

Premium Content Police crack down on illegal activity at CQ walking trails

The unlawful behaviour continues despite many attempts to alleviate it from the...