News

Granville man recalls moment flames engulfed next door home

UPDATE 12:30PM: BANGING on the door is what woke up Granville's Gary Booth this morning at 4am, an alert to let him know his neighbour's home was burning to the ground.

The inferno was right next door, the surreal image of flames engulfing his neighbour's house.

"When I looked out, the house was quite engulfed," Mr Booth said.

"I could see the owner in the backyard and could see he was safe.

"He just looked to be in shock."

Mr Booth jumped into action and took out a garden hose in a bid to help in any way to decrease further damage being done and stop the flames from spreading.

 

Gary Booth lives next door to the house that caught fire in Granville on January 12. He said the frightening experience was surreal.
Gary Booth lives next door to the house that caught fire in Granville on January 12. He said the frightening experience was surreal. Annie Perets

 

"There are trees out the back and I was trying to hose the flames back from them," Mr Booth said.

"Within five minutes, the fire brigade was here."

There is about a 5m gap between the house Mr Booth lives in and that of his unfortunate neighbour.

The heat from the flame began to be felt in the glass in Mr Booth's house, and even made a crack.

"I tried to touch the glass but it was almost too hot to touch," he said.

"I was most worried about the windows cracking as that would have lit everything up.

"Once the fire got really big, I got my wife to put our dogs in the car and just go."

Mr Booth said the concept of a major fire happening next to him was just unreal.

"You just can't believe it's happening," he said.

"The fire crews reacted really quickly, and saved the house from turning into complete ash."

Firefighters spent Thursday morning following the incident working to contain the high quantity of asbestos that was released.

The owner of the burned down house was described to be a long-term resident by neighbours, who had recently done renovation works inside.

A former resident of that house came to visit what's left of the home following the incident, and was brought to tears.

 

 

FRASER COAST TOP STORIES

1. Fraser Coast retailer adds a cafe, float tank and sauna

2. REVEALED: cheapest fuel stations on Fraser Coast

3. Fraser Coast mum fights Centrelink debt claim

 

EARLIER: AN OLD Queenslander has been destroyed in Granville after it went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

When crews arrived on scene the only resident who lived at the Granville property was trapped in his backyard with his dog in his arms.

 

The remains of a home in Granville after a fire gutted it in the early hours of January 12.
The remains of a home in Granville after a fire gutted it in the early hours of January 12. Annie Perets

 

Maryborough Fire Station Officer Shaun Murphy rescued the man from the yard while the first team of firefighters started extinguishing the blaze.

"On arrival the Queenslander was fully engulfed upstairs and under the house," Officer Murphy said.

"The roof had collapsed.

"We cut the gates open, got him out of the backyard and into an ambulance," he said.


Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville.
Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville. Annie Perets

 

The man was in shock and was taken to hospital for precautionary reasons. 

About 14 fire fighters worked to contain the blaze within about 45 minutes.

The fire, which started just before 4am, was completely under control in just over an hour.

Protective lines to neighbouring properties were put in place.

 

Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville.
Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville. Annie Perets

 

"Neighbours also had their own garden hoses out," Officer Murphy said.

Officer Murphy said there was a smoke alarm in the house.

It's also believed there was a boat, welder and car on the property.

Follow Annie Perets on Twitter for more local news.

TOP TIPS

1. Make sure the surrounding areas of your house are clear and accessible for fire fighters.

2. Check and make sure you have working smoke alarms at your property.

Topics:  fcemergency fire qfes


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Address debt, says financial counsellor

ACT NOW: Don't let debt accumulate, a financial counsellor advises.

Don't let the financial stress mount, says financial counsellor.

Colourful array of stunning art

BLOOMING BEAUTIFUL: A winning entry from last year's Blackwater art exhibition.

If you love art then the 41st Annual Art Competition is for you.

Growing up with a love for local show

BIG OPPORTUNITY: Cheneya Freese is the 2017 Miss Alpha Showgirl.

Cheneya Freese has been named Miss Alpha Showgirl for 2017

Local Partners

Young man's body found in burnt CQ home

MYSTERY surrounds death of a young man found near melted appliances in a burnt-out Emerald unit this morning.

What to expect at Birds of Tokyo's Ipswich gig

The band will perform at the Racehorse Hotel on Friday.

BAND member Glen Sarangapany talks music, pub grub and doing shoeys

What public holidays are left in 2017

Ipswich residents will get the day off tomorrow for the show.

IPSWICH residents will get tomorrow off for the show

Caitlyn comes home to launch debut album

Gympie's Caitlyn Shadbolt will launch here debut album Songs On My Sleeve at an exclusive all-ages concert in Gympie on Friday, May 26.

Win tickets to Caitlyn's album launch

Concert death toll revised up to 22, tour suspended

TWENTY-TWO people have been killed and at least 59 people have been injured following a terror attack in Manchester

Casual Keanu says fame is ‘cool’

Keanu Reeves in a scene from the movie John Wick: Chapter 2.

NOBODY expected much of John Wick when it was released in 2014.

Ariana Grande breaks her silence after fatal blast

According to reports quoting witnesses, a mass emergency evacuation was prompted after explosions were heard at the end of US singer Ariana Grande's concert in the arena.

The entertainment industry is in shock after attack on concert

Pitch Perfect star suing Woman’s Day over ‘liar’ articles

Actor Rebel Wilson outside court on Friday.

REBEL Wilson's career destroyed by grubby campaign, court hears.

Seven Year Switch: The boner to end all boners

Johnny’s outraged over claims he has a cracked boner.

She gulps. Her face says it all.

Bay to star in Hollywood shark thriller ‘Cage Dive’

Cage Dive, written and directed by Gerald Rascionato, is now screening in the United States of America. It had scenes filmed in Hervey Bay.

And our visiting humpback whales also make appearance.

Celebrity sex tapes: Where does all that money go?

Basically, did Paris and Kim earn fortunes from their videos?

One of Maryborough's most historic homes is still for sale

FULL OF HISTORY: Trisha Moulds is owner of the historic Tinana state known as Rosehill. The beautiful home is currently for sale.

It has been the scene of both joy and tragedies over the years.

The face of the Sunshine Coast's overpriced rental crisis

Alyx Wilson had to rent a $385 unit in Currimundi because the market was too competitive for cheaper rental housing. She is now renting a room from friends who own a house in Currimundi, and says its much more affordable.

Young people feel the strain in competitive, expensive rental market

WATCH: Take a tour of a tradie's dream home

5a Bruce Hiskens Court, Norman Gardens, going for $720,000. INSET: Lea Taylor.

Huge block with potential for anything

Deputy Premier makes massive call on controversial sand mine

Aerial view of the proposed Forest Glen sand mine.

BREAKING: State Government makes huge call on Coast sand mine plans

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!