SKIERS and snowboarders welcomed winter at the Colorado ski resorts of Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone with five inches (13cm) of powder and at Vail with four inches (10cm) of fresh snow.
The new snow is the perfect way to start the holiday festivities that will feature visits by Santa, ice skating, the mountaintop Kidtopia Snow Fort at Keystone, Vail's Holidaze events, torchlight ski parades that are part of Beaver Creek's first-ever Winterfest, the 2,500-pound Keystone Chocolate Village, alpine coaster rides at Breckenridge and more holiday events.
Looking for a reason to ring in 2012 in the mountains? Here are the top five New Year's Eve events from Vail Resorts' Buzz Snow:
1. Keystone's Icestravaganza Celebration
2. Vail's Largest New Year's Party at Dobson Ice Arena
3. Breckenridge's New Year's Torchlight parade and fireworks
4. Beaver Creek's Kids Winter Wonder Parade
5. And two Tahoe celebrations: The Fire and Ice New Year's Eve celebration at Northstar California on the North Shore. Or Heavenly's Ball Drop and Fireworks in the Heavenly Village on the South Shore.
>> Read more travel stories.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.