Menu
News

Toxic fumes overcome Springfield lagoon workers

TWO Orion Lagoon workers were taken to hospital after being overcome by toxic fumes at the weekend.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at the popular recreational spot at Springfield yesterday just before midday.

It is understood hydrochloric acid and chlorine were somehow mixed together before coming into contact with water.

A pool maintenance person and a cleaner are believed to have been overcome by the fumes in the lagoon's pump house.

Three Queensland Fire and Rescue units attended the scene where scientific officers conducted tests and ventilated the area.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said the two men were taken to Ipswich Hospital in a stable condition as a precaution.

The lagoon was not closed during the brief incident and the public was not placed in danger due to the chemical spill.

Topics:  emergency services ipswich orion lagoon


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Learn to meal prep like a pro

IN THE KITCHEN: Learn how to prepare nutritional meals for your week.

Find out more on how to meal prep like a pro.

Leaving a legacy for his sons

Find out about another of the great cars from the Emerald Car Club

Pioneer Park on track

Emerald 100 race day, 2017.

The first Emerald races for 2018 are on this weekend.

Local Partners