George Pell regrets legal battle with sexual abuse survivor

CARDINAL George Pell has told the royal commission he regrets calling on child abuse victim John Ellis to prove what had happened to him in court, despite already believing him.

Giving evidence today, about the Sydney Archdiocese' 2004 legal battle with the lawyer, Cardinal Pell rejected the suggestion the church had technically denied the abuse had taken place and insisted it was his legal team that had advised him to "dispute" the facts of the case.

He said it was "wrong that it went to such an extent" and regretted that it had.

Cardinal Pell had been on the stand since Monday.

He was expected to fly to Rome to take up his new position as financial adviser to the Vatican once the hearing was over.


Sky may not light up at New Year’s celebrations

Premium Content Sky may not light up at New Year’s celebrations

The usual funding for New Year’s Eve fireworks won’t go ahead this year.

‘I broke down crying’: Outpouring of support after diagnosis

Premium Content ‘I broke down crying’: Outpouring of support after diagnosis

Close to $30k has been raised for a young Emerald couple fighting a...

Family-friendly carnival arrives in town this weekend

Premium Content Family-friendly carnival arrives in town this weekend

When the show rides, side show alley and dagwood dogs will be in Sarina, Moranbah...