Menu
News

Girl's abduction complaint withdrawn

A TEENAGE girl who claimed she had been abducted in Hume St withdrew her complaint after police launched a major investigation.

Police issued a statewide media alert at 8.25am Tuesday appealing for public help with the abduction investigation.

The girl told detectives she was walking through a car park on Hume St at 3.30pm on Monday when a man in a white utility got out of his car and began talking to her.

She claimed he forced her into the car against her will and drove off.

The girl said she escaped the vehicle on Ruthven St.

She gave an extremely detailed description of the man and his utility.

Toowoomba Police performed patrols of schools in the region on Tuesday. However, officers were called back into the station mid-morning.

The alarming story went viral on social media networks, attracting hundreds of comments.

A second police media alert was issued at 10.45am which stated police had concluded their investigation.

"A number of lines of inquiry were conducted, however, the complaint has subsequently been withdrawn," a police spokesperson said.

"Police are satisfied there are no further lines of inquiry."

Toowoomba District Police would not comment on Tuesday but it is believed the girl's claims were false.

It is unknown if she will face disciplinary action for the false complaint.

 

 

 

Topics:  abduction police toowoomba


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners