Caboolture child's septic shock death sparks warning

PARENTS are being urged to know the signs of Group A Streptococcal disease after a four-year-old Caboolture child died from septic shock in Brisbane on Sunday.

The little boy from overwhelming septic shock in the Mater Hospital after the disease rapidly took hold of his body.

Members of the boy's family have been offered precautionary antibiotics and the childcare centre he attended has been notified, although the risk to other children at the centre is considered very small.

The boy's death is the third from Group A Streptococcal disease in Brisbane this month, after two men aged in their nineties died of the bacterial infection in the Greenslopes Private Hospital's rehabilitation unit.

The A Streptococcal bacteria are often found in the throat and on the skin and can cause minor symptoms such as a sore throat.

More on this story at Brisbanetimes.com.au
 


Labor accused of giving voters’ private details to unions

Premium Content Labor accused of giving voters’ private details to unions

Personal details of a number of people has allegedly been shared

Ultimate guide to the state election

Ultimate guide to the state election

QLD election 2020: Ultimate guide to party policies and promises

Escape: Mackay travel agency charters direct NT flights

Premium Content Escape: Mackay travel agency charters direct NT flights

Dreaming of that escape across the border? Book that holiday and support a local...