Menu
News

12yo charged after 'arson attack'

A firefighter hoses down an abandoned property on Grace St in Wulkuraka, where residents were evacuated because of asbestos released from the burning building.
A firefighter hoses down an abandoned property on Grace St in Wulkuraka, where residents were evacuated because of asbestos released from the burning building. Claudia Baxter

POLICE have charged a 12-year-old with arson offences following a suspicious blaze that destroyed a house in Ipswich on Sunday afternoon.

Police believe the fire that destroyed the Grace St building in Wulkuraka about 3pm was deliberately lit and their investigation lead to the arrest of the young offender yesterday.

The house had no occupants at the time of the fire. It was destroyed by the large blaze.

Residents in the suburban Wulkuraka street had to be evacuated from their homes as a safety precaution while the fire gutted the house.

A police officer on the scene told The Queensland Times that smouldering asbestos from the burning house was the main reason to evacuate residents.

Wind sent smoke billowing around the neighbourhood for hours after the fire first started.

Four fire trucks with 14 firefighters attended the incident.

A Queensland Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said fire investigators examined the scene yesterday.

In a statement, police said the 12-year-old would be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act.

 

FIRST POST:

RESIDENTS in a suburban street were evacuated from their homes after a fire gutted a house in Ipswich yesterday.

A police officer on the scene told the QT that smouldering asbestos was the main reason to evacuate residents.

The blaze broke out just before 3pm at Grace St, Wulkuraka and flames quickly engulfed the low set house, which was abandoned.

Wind sent smoke billowing around the neighbourhood for hours.

Four fire trucks with 14 firefighters attended.

A QFRS spokeswoman said fire investigators would attend the scene today.

Topics:  arson evacuation firefighters house fire qfrs


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners