Menu
News

'I hope he's dead': New love interest stabbed, Crown says

The 42 year-old pleaded guilty on Tuesday to causing grievous bodily harm, but not guilty to attempted murder.
The 42 year-old pleaded guilty on Tuesday to causing grievous bodily harm, but not guilty to attempted murder. John Weekes

WHEN his former partner started a relationship with a new man, Jason Angus Conlon was none too pleased.

But for a night of bloody mayhem in Sippy Downs which followed, is Mr Conlon guilty of attempted murder?

That will be for a jury to decide, after the 42 year-old pleaded guilty on Tuesday to causing grievous bodily harm, but not guilty to attempted murder.

On Tuesday, Brisbane Supreme Court heard the attack allegedly happened in the wee hours of November 13, 2013.

After visiting someone in Cherbourg, Mr Conlon allegedly went to the Sunshine Coast.

That was where his ex and her new boyfriend were staying, prosecutor David Finch said.

Mr Conlon rushed at the victim "from the darkness, from around the side of the house”.

He then knocked the new partner to the ground, but wasn't done yet, Mr Finch said..

The victim found himself being struck.

"He didn't realise it at the time but he was being stabbed,” the prosecutor claimed.

"I hope he's dead,” Mr Conlon is alleged to have said after the attack.

Somebody asked Mr Conlon "did you stab him?” and he responded "you're next”, Mr Finch alleged.

Mr Conlon's former partner was "being quite vocal” as the chaos erupted.

The victim had a "penetrating wound to the left chest wall which extended into the pleural cavity”, Mr Finch added.

Another blow resulted in injury to the new boyfriend's left shoulder, "effectively the upper part of his back”.

A girl aged 14 inside heard the commotion, saw "the aftermath” of the attack and called police.

The Crown planned to show the jury text messages between Mr Conlon and the former partner.

There was "a degree of antagonism” in text messages sent on the 12th of November that year, Mr Finch said. 

A neighbour told the jury of hearing "panicked, scared, very loud” screaming at about 2.15am that November night.

"I went back inside to get my glasses, my torch and my phone.”

The neighbour said he saw an altercation, yelled "Oi, what's going on?” and then saw a person run away.

Defence counsel Carl Martinovic suggested the neighbour might be mistaken, given how dark it was that night, and the person in question may have simply walked away briskly.

Another witness, a local mum, told the court she heard a man yelling the phrase "f***ing c***” a couple of times.

The worried woman armed herself with a tennis racquet but did not go outside.

The trial continues.

- NewsRegional

Topics:  attempted murder brisbane supreme court jason angus conlon stabbing


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners