Widow hopes mining industry will take note of inquest
THE wife of a Hervey Bay man who was killed in a tyre explosion at Foxleigh Mine in 2010 says she hopes the results of a recent inquest will force the mining industry to take notice.
On May 21 and 22, an inquest into the death of 53-year-old truck operator Wayne Robert MacDonald took place in Mackay, more than three years after his death.
Mr MacDonald's wife, Pam MacDoanld, of Hervey Bay, said it had been a long wait for the inquest to take place.
"When the findings are released I hope that the industry takes note and are pressured into implementing the recommendations in a timely manner," she said.
"I also wish that no other family goes through what I have had to endure in the last three-and-a-half years.
"This is a wakeup call to all in the mining industry that enough is enough."
In a statement read out at the end of the two-day coronial inquest, Mrs MacDonald described her husband as hardworking, saying nothing was too much trouble for him and that he simply loved life.
"And he was my life," she said.
"The pain and hurt I have had to deal with and am still dealing with cannot be put into words.
"I just hope it doesn't take another fatality for changes to continue to ensure the safety of everyone who works in the mining industry now and in the future."
Mr MacDonald, an experienced truck driver, was killed when a tyre he was changing exploded.
During the inquest, it was revealed there was some confusion between witnesses questioned about the correct inflation pressure of a trailer tyre.
The results of the inquest will be released this year.