Jailed for drunken meltdown

A YOUNG man who caused a major scene and more than $2000 worth of damage in front of tourists and customers at Puma Service Station last week, was sentenced to jail in Gympie Magistrates Court yesterday.

Matthew Wayne Saylor; who was described in court as a flamboyant personality who had suffered years of abuse "because he does not always identify as being male", was highly intoxicated when the incident occurred.

Police were called to the Kybong service station late last Thursday night, where the 21-year-old was found screaming and damaging property, the court heard.

Customers ran as the man yelled obscenities and threw items from shelves. He was also seen following German tourists to their campervans and damaging their vehicles. When police tried to arrest him, he struggled.

Magistrate M. Baldwin told Saylor, who has been in custody since his arrest, it was obvious his behaviour was the result of alcohol abuse.

"You're very young. I think you're facing some very difficult issues, but the way to deal with it is not in jail," she said.

For three wilful damage convictions and one each of obstructing police, possessing a knife in public and being a public nuisance, Saylor was given five jail sentences, each of a few months, to be served concurrently. He will be eligible for parole on November 20, this year. He must also pay $2255.10 in damages.

Topics:  gympie magisatrates court kybong

Gympie Times

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Discover a land before time

FLASH BACK: The Central Highlands were once home to multitudes of volcanos, spread over the plains.

Go on a journey through the land before time with Peter Grigg.

Race day to help locked out miners

No Caption

Moranbah race day held to help raise funds for locked out miners.

On the verge of history

Brooks Pleasure, won Race 1 at Callaghan Park.

Brook's Pleasure is making history at Callaghan Park.

Local Partners