Man charged with child rape applied for school job: court
UPDATE: A COURT has heard a Sunshine Coast man charged with multiple child sex offences had applied to work at a school.
That application was one of the factors Acting Magistrate Michael Bice took into account when considering bail for the man in Maroochydore Magistrates Court this morning.
Duty lawyer Mark Dixon said his client had no criminal history and would be willing to surrender his passport.
Mr Dixon also noted the most recent alleged offence before the court was in 2011.
"Some significant time has elapsed between then and now," Mr Dixon said.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Shane Raison said the man had made admissions to police and not all of his alleged victims had yet been identified.
Sgt Raison described the job application of concern as "recent".
Mr Bice noted the seriousness of the charges as well as the school job application.
He said it was concerning that not all alleged victims had been identified.
The man's application for bail was refused.
His matters are next due for mention on July 7.
INITIAL REPORT: SUNSHINE Coast child protection detectives have charged a man with a string of serious child sex offences stemming from offences committed over the past decade.
Yesterday, police executed a search warrant on a Stavewood Street home in Meridan Plains.
An extensive search was conducted and officers seized hard drives and two mobile phones for examination.
Police also located a number of photographs for further examination, as well as a quantity of drugs.
A 62-year-old man was taken into custody and escorted to Caloundra police station for an interview.
He has since been charged with 24 counts of indecent treatment of a child, 11 counts of rape and one count each of supply liquor to a minor, possess dangerous drugs and possess relevant thing.
He is due to appear in the Maroochydore Magistrate Court today.
Officer in Charge of the Sunshine Coast Child Protection and Investigation Unit Detective Senior Sergeant Phil Hurst said further investigations were underway to identify other potential victims.
"The charges we laid overnight relate to offences committed between 2004 and 2011, but we have reason to believe there may have been other victims as well," Detective Senior Sergeant Hurst said.
"We'd also like anyone who may have any knowledge of these matters to come forward as well."
If you have been the victim of a sexual offence, police encourage you to contact Crime Stoppers or local police.
Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.