Man flies into violent ANZAC rage

Patrons enjoy a game of Two-up at the Emerald Bowls Club on Anzac Day just hours before a man flew into a violent rampage at the venue.
Patrons enjoy a game of Two-up at the Emerald Bowls Club on Anzac Day just hours before a man flew into a violent rampage at the venue. Simon Green

HE WAS only asked to remove his cap before entering the licensed premises. But that seemed all too hard for Zane Anthony Grattan, who will now serve a lengthy probation sentence, be forced to pay more than $1000 in fines and a hefty restitution bill for his actions that followed.

Police were called to the Emerald Bowls Club about 6.35pm on Wednesday, April 25, after reports of a disturbance which had spilled outside onto the footpath.

It was Anzac Day and club patrons had gathered at the venue in good spirits to remember the sacrifices made by the Australian armed services.

On this particular night, Grattan was in anything but good spirits.

When police arrived on the scene, club management said Grattan became upset after being asked to remove his cap, with his behaviour described as reckless and disorderly.

In a fit of rage, he knocked over a dais and upturned a table, causing $985 in damage to club property. When asked to leave, Grattan became involved in an argument outside the premises.

The Emerald Magistrate's Court heard Grattan was a troubled young man with a long history of depression and anxiety, resulting from an alcohol problem that began in his teens.

A shooting incident left him with shotgun pellets lodged in his lungs, from which he still suffered pain, his solicitor said. He said his client had intentions to marry next year and felt he had matured since the Anzac Day incident.

In sentencing, Magistrate Cameron Press said Grattan was fortunate the current charges fell outside the jurisdiction of a suspended jail sentence for assault imposed by a district court in May.

Grattan pleaded guilty to being drunk or disorderly in premises to which a licence relates, failing to leave a licensed premises and contravening a direction or requirement of police. He was fined a total of $1050 for the offences.

He pleaded guilty to wilful damage and was sentenced to 18 months probation and ordered to pay restitution to the bowls club. The man was also banned from entering the club for 12 months.

"If these offences had occurred after (your earlier sentence) you would be going to jail," Mgst Press said.

"You either change your behaviour now or face going to jail next time."

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Learn to meal prep like a pro

IN THE KITCHEN: Learn how to prepare nutritional meals for your week.

Find out more on how to meal prep like a pro.

Leaving a legacy for his sons

Find out about another of the great cars from the Emerald Car Club

Pioneer Park on track

Emerald 100 race day, 2017.

The first Emerald races for 2018 are on this weekend.

Local Partners