Man found not guilty of Redbank Plains rape
A FOUR-woman, eight-man jury has found a man not guilty of raping a woman at a park in Redbank Plains, near Ipswich.
The man, who cannot be named to protect the woman's identity, maintained throughout the five-day trial that the oral sex she performed on him in a park gazebo was consensual.
He was acquitted of rape, attempted rape and aggravated sexual assault charges in the Brisbane District Court on Friday.
The court heard the pair became friends at a homeless shelter in Brisbane before the man was said to have attacked her six weeks later, on December 16, 2013.
When Crown prosecutor Carly Whelan cross-examined the man he admitted he was high on methamphetamine at the park, but said he remembered she said "yes" when he asked her to perform the act on him.
The man later apologised to the woman when she called him and accused him of raping and assaulting her.
But he told the court he only apologised because she had convinced him she had x-rays showing she had broken ribs and he was heavily sedated during the phone call.
A grandmother testified she was at the park with her two grandchildren on December 16 and saw a man with his pants down forcing a woman to do something.
The grandmother said the woman was not screaming, but when the woman broke free 10 minutes later she told another woman nearby she had been raped.
"She said the man had broken two of her toes during the night so she could not run away," Ms Courts said.
But defence barrister Geoff Seaholme said the woman was lying about the rape.
He argued she had repeatedly said she could not recall or remember certain things to escape further questions.
Mr Seaholme said police had also reported she was reluctant to speak with them.
- APN NEWSDESK