Man found not guilty of stalking Gwyneth Paltrow

Actress Gwyneth Paltrow said the experience was
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow said the experience was "very long and very traumatic". Bang Showbiz

A MAN accused of stalking Gwyneth Paltrow has been found not guilty for a second time.

Dante Soiu was previously found not guilty of stalking Gwyneth by reason of insanity in 2000 and sent to a mental institution for several years.

However, after his release he has been accused of sending the actress up to 66 letters between 2009 and 2015, which she found "disturbing".

Gwyneth testified in court that he had sent her letters and packages dating back to 1999, containing pornography, earrings and a statement that he wanted to "excise her sin with a scalpel".

She explained: "I felt very upset by it. This has been a very long and very traumatic experience already."

He also said he wanted to marry her.

However, while his lawyer admitted Mr Soiu had written to Gwyneth, he insisted that recent letters hadn't included pornography.

And in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the jury said it had doubts that Soiu intended to frighten the actress.

According to Billboard, jury foreman Ryan Austin, said they did not feel it amounted to felony stalking.

Soiu testified that his most recently letters "a matter of seeking forgiveness" and his lawyer Lynda Westlund, said she believed the jury had made the right decision.

She said: "He just needed the right medication. He is completely lucid. He's unique. He's special. But... he's very cogent."

Topics:  actress celebrity court gwyneth paltrow stalking

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Taking a national stand

NO WAY: Students from Year 8 created 'No Way' bullying posters to show bullying has no place at Emerald State High school.

Local high school raises awareness against bullying.

Inland Port announced

ECONOMIC BOOST: Federal Member for Flynn Ken O'Dowd makes the funding announcement at the Central Highlands Development Corporation's Economic Futures Forum on Monday.

Ken O'Dowd announced federal funding for two major projects.

Council legal battle win

Court, Justice, Law, Courthouse, Brisbane Supreme Court, Queensland Court of Appeal, Brisbane District Court (File)

Local council allowed to appeal $852k damages for error.

Local Partners