Knife man gets 12 year term

Brisbane Supreme District Court
Brisbane Supreme District Court Rae Wilson

A MAN who went from a violent stabbing frenzy to a new life under a pseudonym in Gympie thought he had left his dark past behind him.

But the night he almost killed his former girlfriend and stabbed his two-year-old daughter caught up with him in March, 2008, when he phoned a former girlfriend from a Gympie pay phone.

Then, after months of living a deceitful life in the Gympie community, the man was charged with attempted murder and unlawful wounding.

The man, whose real name cannot be used to protect his daughter, was sentenced to 12 years in jail yesterday in the Supreme Court in Brisbane.

Crown prosecutor Glen Cash said the man went to the Brisbane home of his on-again, off-again girlfriend on November 15, 2007.

He said the enraged man "rammed" the woman's head against the fridge before stabbing her 26 times with scissors and a knife.

When the toddler tried to protect her mother, the man saw her as "just a blob of colour".

"...I stabbed her just to get her out of the way," he told a psychiatrist.

Mr Cash said the man fled the house, leaving the mother and her child unconscious and surrounded by blood on the kitchen floor, and drove to his boss's house.

The man jumped in his boss's pool because he thought the chlorine would wash his victim's blood away. The man's former girlfriend sustained life-threatening injuries, including a stab wound which penetrated her liver, and her daughter suffered a number of cuts.

Police did not find the man responsible for what Justice Peter Lyons labelled "extraordinarily violent" offences for four months.

Justice Lyons said the man was homeless for about a month before travelling to Gympie where he took on the identity as Bryan Khan.

He told people he did not have any identification because his parents were "hippies".

"He maintained the charade he was Khan (when interviewed by police) and denied having any role in the attack," Mr Cash said.

Defence barrister Ruth O'Gorman said her client, a former crowd controller and budding painter, was intoxicated by dexamphetamine, prescribed to him for his ADHD condition, on the night of the attack.

Justice Lyons accepted the man's offending was spontaneous and not pre-meditated.

"I accept in recent years you have become remorseful," he said.

Topics:  attempted murder brisbane supreme court charged

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners