Caltabiano received $650k a year before being dumped
A TOP Queensland bureaucrat received more than $650,000 for a year's work before he was dumped from the Transport Department role without a given reason.
Michael Caltabiano was dismissed from his role as Transport and Main Roads Director-General following allegations he misled a parliamentary estimates committee last year.
He is also the subject of a Crime and Misconduct Commission investigation.
He was stood aside on full pay last October before Premier Campbell Newman terminated his contract in March.
Mr Newman personally appointed Mr Caltabiano to the plum position but confirmed to an Estimates Committee hearing on Tuesday he provided no reason for giving him the flick.
"Well, I simply say to the committee that no reason was given and I exercised my discretion under the contract to terminate his employment," he said.
Opposition leader Annastacia Palaszczuk grilled Mr Newman about how much taxpayers had poured into Mr Caltabiano's short tenure.
Mr Newman confirmed Mr Caltabiano's total remuneration was $652,937.
Just over $234,000 of that was paid before Mr Caltabiano was stood aside.
In an attempt to shift the focus, Mr Newman said that, in comparison, a director-general under Labor received $1.1 million between July 2011 and May 2012.