Mother warns of locking trap
EVERY parent’s worst nightmare happened to an Emerald mother on Saturday when her four-month-old son was locked in the family car.
The mother told Central Queensland News she was putting her kids in the car at Emerald Shopping Village when the incident occurred.
She said she put her son in the car first and got in the front passenger seat before leaning over to turn on the ignition and accidentally bumping the locking system in the centre console.
“My heart sunk (when I realised the doors were locked),” she said. “I didn’t know what to do, I tried opening the windows and then ran quickly inside to the (service) desk,” she said.
She said she had turned on the car so the air-conditioner could cool it for the kids and since the incident has changed her methods to never close all the doors at once while putting the kids in the car.
“I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone, it’s the worst feeling ever,” she said.
RACQ, police, firefighters and the ambulance all attended and after “what felt like forever” RACQ rescued the boy, who was unharmed, by poking wire through the corner of the window to hit the unlocking button in the centre console.
“My advice is not to reach over as I think that’s what caused it and leave doors open when turning the ignition on.”