MAJOR RESCUE: Efforts under way in Glass House Mountains

Emergency services at the scene of the rescue below Mt Tibrogargan.
Emergency services at the scene of the rescue below Mt Tibrogargan. Warren Lynam

UPDATE AT 3.35PM: Rescue 500 has decided it is too risky to perform a winch rescue of the couple, so the pair will be brought back off the mountain by SES and Queensland Fire and Emergency Service rescuers in what is expected to be a two-hour climb.

Queensland Ambulance Service officer-in-charge Allan Ross said the SES rescue crews had reached the climbers, believed to be a 26-year-old female and 28-year-old male.

Mr Ross said rescuers were confident they could walk the pair out, but that was a two-hour trek with fading light.

He said the pair had been stuck overnight on the mountain having got into trouble on Saturday afternoon.

He said the roped climbers had done the right thing by staying overnight, and the man's father had climbed back up to the pair at midnight overnight to deliver more supplies.

UPDATE AT 2.35PM: A rescuer was winched down Mt Tibrogargan in an effort to make contact with the two climbers who are presently stuck in a crevice on the steep mountainside.

Emergency services personnel fear they are running out of daylight to perform the rescue and have called for the Rescue 500 chopper to assist.  

EARLIER:  A FIREFIGHTING drone has been called for to help scout the best rescue route for two reportedly experienced climbers stuck atop Mt Tibrogargan.

The call came through to emergency services about 9am, after members of the public found the climbers' bags.

The two climbers have just been located and the drone is being called to help rescue crews map out the safest way to extract the pair.

The scene of the rescue below Mt Tibrogargan.
The scene of the rescue below Mt Tibrogargan. Warren Lynam

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said there was currently three specialised rescue teams on the mountain, with SES crews and ambulance officers also on scene at the popular Glass House Mountains peak.

The spokesman said the pair had reached the summit but could not get back down.

They are reportedly in good health, with communication between rescuers and the climbers open.

Rescue helicopters have not been called for at this stage.

The rescue is expected to take a few hours to complete, once the path has been locked in for the rescue teams.

More to come.

Topics:  breaking news community editors picks emergency services glasshouse mountains sunshine coast

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners