Murder accused case delayed by six weeks over 'conflict'
A "CONFLICT" that prompted Legal Aid Queensland to provide Jason William Binney - the man accused of murdering Dalby man Mark Wilkes - with a new lawyer has delayed Binney from appearing in the Dalby Magistrates Court by another six weeks.
Duty lawyer Rebecca Peters, in her capacity as town agent for Legal Aid Queensland, told Acting Magistrate Roger Stark that the matter had been transferred to the Brisbane legal aid office, citing a "conflict".
Ms Peters said the new solicitor had spoken with Binney, and they received the brief (of evidence) last week. Binney is currently facing charges of arson, entering a dwelling at night with intent, murder and stealing. She sought a six-week adjournment for the case to give the new lawyer time to get their head around the case and take instructions from Binney.
Acting Magistrate Stark said Binney would be required to appear via video link on the April 4 committal mention.
"It's been before the court since January last year and today was to be the final adjournment," Acting Magistrate Stark remarked.
He added that this would now be the final adjournment.