Murder accused given bail in KFC attack
A QUEENSLAND father, charged with the punching murder of a Sydney tradesman outside a KFC, has been released on bail.
Brisbane Supreme Court heard Conrad Joseph Carter's propensity for "going out, getting drunk and taking someone on” could be mitigated by a strict condition not to drink alcohol.
The 32-year-old father of five had been behind bars since allegedly assaulting 50-year-old labourer Wayne Tolme in the carpark of the Caboolture fast food store in June last year.
Mr Tolme had only just moved back to Queensland to be closer to his son the week the alleged attack occurred.
Defence barrister Saul Holt told the court on Thursday that his client had never breached bail and was at no risk of fleeing the Caboolture region where he had "strong ties” to his partner, children and extended family.
It was agreed Mr Carter should live with his mother and not his partner with whom he had shared a "troubled history” - on one occasion he used a knife to "stab at her door” - but was still in court to support him.
Chief Justice Catherine Holmes said while she was concerned about Mr Carter's criminal history, which showed an alleged link between alcohol and offending, she did not believe he posed a risk of failing to appear in court.
She also noted there would be a "serious issue” at trial about whether, in allegedly assaulting Mr Tolme, Mr Carter intended to kill him and in any event, that trial would not take place this year.
Mr Carter was allowed bail on the grounds he comply with a curfew, and random alcohol testing, and keep out of the neighbouring suburbs of Morayfield and Burpengary where Mr Tolme's relatives live.
His next court date has not been set.