Gerard Baden-Clay
Gerard Baden-Clay

Gerard Baden-Clay's mistress tells of secret email account

"I HAVE given you a commitment and I intend to stick to it - I will be separated by 1 July."

That is an email accused wife killer Gerard Baden-Clay sent his mistress Toni McHugh from a secret email account the two used to communicate with each other after their affair was exposed.

Gerard Baden-Clay, 43, is accused of murdering his wife Allison Baden-Clay, 43, in April, 2012.

He reported her missing on the morning of April 20, 2012, telling police she had failed to return from her morning walk.

A canoeist, Daryl Joyce, located her badly decomposed body 10 days later underneath Kholo Creek Bridge.

Mr Baden-Clay has pleaded not guilty to her murder.

Ms McHugh told the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday intimate details of their affair which started in August, 2008.

She said she first met Mr Baden-Clay "a couple of years earlier" when he sold a block of land for her.

Ms McHugh told the court she started working with Mr Baden-Clay as a salesperson at Century 21 at Kenmore in April, 2007.

She said the relationship between the two changed in August, 2008, which ultimately led to the end of her 17-year relationship with her partner two months later.

"He was very adamant he did not have a relationship with his wife, that he did not love his wife", she said.

"But at the same time he was never, ever disrespectful, or callous, or spiteful, or hurtful."

Ms McHugh said as the relationship became physical the two would meet "generally during the evening when we could both say we needed to work back".

"The weeks I did not have my children I would see Gerard a lot more frequently.

"Maybe four times per week, but very rarely on weekends.

"I went to his house on two occasions."

Ms McHugh told the court the relationship ended in September or October, 2011, after Allison Baden-Clay discovered the affair after being tipped off about it.

She said it was not until December, 2011, that the two decided to meet up for coffee.

"He told me he was not ready to leave his wife but he was going to leave his wife," she said.

"He told me that he loved me and one day he did want to come to me unconditionally."

Ms McHugh said the two had discussed Mr Baden-Clay leaving his wife on several occasions.

"Gerard was very fearful of Allison not being able to manage a separation or divorce," she said.

"He had voiced concerns about her mental strength.

"I was very aware of Allison's depression from day one when Gerard told us all about her illness.

"But he was very concerned she would not handle it and that would impact on the girls."

Ms McHugh will continue her evidence when the court resumes on Tuesday.

Gerard Baden-Clay as "calm as a cucumber" after wife went missing

THE mother of Allison Baden-Clay has described her son-in-law's demeanour as being as "calm as a cucumber" the morning he reported her daughter missing.

Her son-in-law, Gerard Baden-Clay, 43, has been charged with her daughter's murder.

Priscilla Dickie told the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday she could not believe how Mr Baden-Clay was acting the morning she arrived at their Brookfield home after learning her daughter was missing.

She told the court of the moment on April 20, 2012, when she learnt her daughter was missing.

"We got the phone call about 9.45am and Gerard said Al was missing," she said.

"We dropped everything and went to their house at Brookfield.

"There were a lot of people there when we arrived."

Mrs Dickie told the court she could not believe how Mr Baden-Clay was acting on that morning.

"He was wearing a pink stripped shirt and tie," she said.

"He was as calm as a cucumber.

"He told me he did not know where she had walked to."

Mrs Dickie said she asked Mr Baden-Clay about the scratches she noticed on the right-hand side of his face.

She told the court she did not believe his explanation.

"I asked him what happened there," she said.

"He told me he had cut himself shaving."

Mrs Dickie told the court her daughter had suffered from post-natal depression after the birth of her first daughter in 2011.

She said in late 2011 she rang her daughter at the request of Allison's best friend Kerry-Anne Walker.

"(Allison) told us that Gerard no longer loved her," she said.

"I urged her to come and live with us on the Gold Coast.

"She said no way. She would never leave those girls."

Father of Gerard Baden-Clay arranged death cover

NIGEL Baden-Clay told his son's murder trial how he was the one who set up a life insurance policy for his daughter-in-law - the person his son is accused of murdering.

Mr Baden-Clay Snr told the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday he was the one who organised the paperwork for his son to sign after his daughter-in-law's body was located, 10 days after she was reported missing.

His son, Gerard Baden-Clay, 43, has pleaded not guilty to murdering his wife and mother of his three children Allison Baden-Clay in April, 2012.

Nigel Baden-Clay told the court he became "alarmed" when he learnt a steady stream of police and homicide detectives had arrived at his son's Brookfield home in the hours after he had reported his wife missing on April 20, 2012.

He said his daughter, Olivia Walton had alerted him to the growing police presence.

"I found that alarming news and I immediately telephoned my son and said 'it is probably time you had a lawyer, would you like me to organise that for you?" Mr Baden-Clay Snr said.

He told the court his son replied "yes please" and then he organised legal representation after receiving advice from two friends.

Earlier, Baden-Clay Snr told the court had been an insurance planner and financial planner since 1980.

He said he had organised Allison's insurance policy after the couple had returned from their honeymoon.

"It was a pure life and crisis or trauma insurance," he said.

"The trauma related to the possibility of having some traumatic event or crisis event such as cancer or heart conditions.

"In addition to that there was a significant amount of death cover."

Mr Baden-Clay Snr told the court of the moment he learnt Allison's body had been located.

"The police came to Gerard's office, I happened to be in Gerard's office at the time, and the police came to Gerard's office to tell him," he said.

"But we had actually heard before that because it was actually on the internet before the police got to his office.

"We were aware a body had been found under the Kohlo Creek Bridge."

Mr Baden-Clay Snr said he contacted the insurance company to notify them Allison's body had been recovered, but could not recall how long after the recovery of the body this occurred.

He told the court the "paperwork" was done towards the end of May, 2012.

Bowen Basin water supply a ‘nationally significant’ priority

Premium Content Bowen Basin water supply a ‘nationally significant’ priority

A report has found ‘constrained water supply’ is limiting the growth of...

Activate your free Courier Mail subscription for big rewards

Premium Content Activate your free Courier Mail subscription for big rewards

Did you know you can get even more – for free?

Emerald District Court: appearance list for today

Premium Content Emerald District Court: appearance list for today

Here is a list of District Court criminal sittings at Emerald on March 3