No joint APL bid
THERE will be no joint Australian Premier League (APL) bid between the Whitsunday Miners and Mackay Regional Football Zone.
The two parties were unable to strike an agreement on key facets of Football Queensland's submission criteria at a two-and-a-half hour meeting at Barbour Park on Wednesday night.
The zone will now proceed with its own bid. The Miners are yet to decide whether to submit a bid of their own or disband.
That development comes after both groups last week signalled their commitment for a united joint bid ahead of the September 14 submission deadline.
Football Queensland has indicated the chance of an APL licence being granted to the Mackay region would be diminished if there were rival bids.
The failure to reach a compromise has thrown Miners' coach Graham Harvey's future in doubt.
Harvey was set to address the Miners board last night about his future coaching intentions, with speculation he is growing increasingly frustrated with the uncertainty plaguing his club next year.
His role with any APL venture proved one of the sticking points of a joint bid.
Wednesday night's meeting hinged on both groups agreeing on three crucial aspects of their joint APL bid submission.
Those issues included establishing a seven-person board, a name for the new joint venture and coaching and development.
Both were happy with a seven-person board, comprising three from the zone, three from the Miners and a neutral member.
But a deal could not be reached on coaching and a name for the side.
The Miners wanted to keep their established brand name. The zone insisted on a new name.
Also critical to the joint bid disagreement were the zone's feelings it preferred Harvey not to be the coach of the proposed side.
When asked if it wanted Harvey as the coach of the possible new side, zone president Scott Mealy replied "no".
"The new direction of the APL is a technical program," Mealy said.
"They want to develop and foster local talent at a QSL level.
"We took the stance that we needed a person that has that background."
Mealy said a junior football development coach from another region had become available and the zone wanted him for that technical-coaching role.
The Miners were not insisting Harvey be the coach, but felt the position should be a decision for the proposed new seven-member board.
Miners CEO Troy Mundy said his club would consider its options over the next 72 hours before making an announcement as to whether it would proceed with an APL bid.
"We've been in contact with Football Queensland about some outcomes of the meeting and it's now back in the hands of our board to decide our next step," he said. "We'll take some time to digest things and form a position soon."