Mackay resident Selina Wright and Grace Alexandra Wright at last year’s Mackay Show. They, like many residents, will have to wait for the show to be rescheduled once the coronavirus pandemic has eased.
Mackay resident Selina Wright and Grace Alexandra Wright at last year’s Mackay Show. They, like many residents, will have to wait for the show to be rescheduled once the coronavirus pandemic has eased.

‘Optimistic’ new dates suggested for Mackay show

"THE show must go on," Steve Gavioli announced, but it will have to be at a later date.

The Mackay Show Association manager said Mackay now would be the first stop in a post-coronavirus show tour as it headed north before looping back down to Brisbane.

While the three-day agricultural show is traditionally held in June, Mr Gavioli said due to increasing coronavirus restrictions he had been forced to postpone Mackay's 141st annual show till much later in the year.

"To keep everyone safe it's going to run a lot longer than we initially thought," he said.

"Safety is the top of the list."

Mackay Show Association manager Steve Gavioli said due to increasing coronavirus restrictions there was no possibility of the three-day agricultural showcase going ahead in June.
Mackay Show Association manager Steve Gavioli said due to increasing coronavirus restrictions there was no possibility of the three-day agricultural showcase going ahead in June.

For the latest coronavirus news click here

CANCELLED, CLOSED, POSTPONED: Drastic moves amid virus fears

Ekka 2020 cancelled as coronavirus pandemic continues

In his many years with the show, Mr Gavioli said he had never faced a threat of this magnitude

However, he said he was "still optimistic and still very cautious" that the revised show season would start in October or November.

Novelty entertainment acts like Australia's only human cannonball, Warren Brophy, will have to wait until the coronavirus crisis is resolved.
Novelty entertainment acts like Australia's only human cannonball, Warren Brophy, will have to wait until the coronavirus crisis is resolved.

"We're putting things into place for when things go back to normal," he said.

The new dates had been set in consultation with the Showmen's Guild of Australasia, he said.

And while all the razzle dazzle and magic of the show would be there, Mr Gavioli said the delays could mean a shorter season.

"If need be they can condense everything," he said.

In 2017, Show Whitsunday withstood the aftermath of Cyclone Debbie but secretary Sue Quantock said the two-day event scheduled for June 19-20 could not weather coronavirus.

For the first time since World War II the show would be cancelled, Ms Quantock said.

"It's really hard and really sad that it's not going ahead this year," she said.

Clermont Show Committee has announced it will postpone its show, which was to have been held from May 25-27.

The event's Cattlemen's Challenge, Giant Pumpkin and Big Tomato competitions will still be held, but judging will take place privately.

Sarina Show Society president Malcolm Langdon said at this stage the show would go ahead in August, as scheduled.

"At this stage we're carrying on as normal," Mr Langdon said.

But that could change in June, when the society reviews the status of the pandemic.

The Pioneer Valley Show Society has been contacted for comment.


We’ve got reno fever as thousands chase $25,000 cash offer

premium_icon We’ve got reno fever as thousands chase $25,000 cash offer

HomeBuilder website records 100,000 hits in a day

FIRST LOOK: Rocky FIFO begins as Adani airstrip complete

premium_icon FIRST LOOK: Rocky FIFO begins as Adani airstrip complete

First look: Exlcusive photos of the huge new Adani mine airstrip

Bowen Basin mine worker hospitalised

premium_icon Bowen Basin mine worker hospitalised

A Hail Creek mine worker has been flown to hospital after suffering heart...